Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Settling in ... for a week or two

Finished up my latest round of travel (Iowa-Kansas City-Charleston, round trip). I had a great time and am glad I made the effort to visit Charleston, which is a charming city. It has a small town feel, and is very welcoming and friendly. It was fun to play tourist and go on bus tours and carriage tours and walking tours. We even took in a minor league baseball game.

Then home to 300 email messages awaiting me at the Day Job. That's about right, I average about 100 a day or so. It took a few days to fight my way through that, and now I'm back on an even keel again, getting ready to settle in for the summer -- for 3 weeks, until I travel again, that is.

While traveling, I did something I seldom do: I flew without any entertainment -- no Kindle, no tablet, no magazine. I threw caution to the winds and grabbed a book from the airport bookstore, one by my favorite author (Martha Grimes). I spent several enjoyable hours revisiting old friends (her detective stories have been my favorite for years). I forgot how much I enjoy reading a good book -- if I got nothing else out of traveling, it was great to rediscover reading....

5 comments:

Leah St. James said...

I visited Charleston many years ago, JL, but I loved the city and would love to go back. I know what you mean about emails. My day job is the same, and sometimes I feel like it's not even worth getting away! So glad you got to read that book!

Jannine Gallant said...

There's something about holding an actual book... Glad you had a fun trip!

Margo Hoornstra said...

There is something special about holding an actual book. Though I understand the convenience and economic factors of e-books, kind of sad print books are going by the wayside. Here's to round two of your travel time this summer.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I've always imagined I'd enjoy visiting Charleston. I'm glad you had a good trip. Unless I'm doing research, I much prefer my ereader. To each her own.

Rolynn Anderson said...

I'll be visiting Myrtle Beach/Charleston in December. Looking forward to some great golf and new scenery. Glad to hear you're reading your favs, JL!