Monday, February 26, 2018

there are stories everywhere

As I write this, I am recovering from major surgery (hip replacement). I've had one other major surgery in my life, but I didn't stay overnight in a hospital for that one.

The thing I found fascinating about this event was the reliance on computer technology. Everything was barcoded -- me, my drugs, my IV fluids. All my pills came in wee tiny plastic bags with bar codes and they were scanned before being given to me. Whatever was injected into the IV line was wanded. Somewhere (and I'm sure I'll see it sometime soon) is an itemized list of what all those things cost.

Everything went fine and I'm working on the Recovery phase now. I hope to get back to writing in a day or two. For now, though, I'm taking advantage of the Invalid Phase and am lolling around the house and relaxing. I've jotted down some notes about my hospital visit to use in an upcoming book and am making notes about these crazy drugs I'm supposed to take. I can see a way to make that bar code thing work for me in a plot...

J L
jayellwilson.com

7 comments:

Leah St. James said...

That's pretty major surgery, JL. So glad you're back on the mend and taking it easy for a few days! I was thinking the exact same thing the other day when I was donating blood -- everything was bar-coded and scanned, which is a good thing when you're talking about giving a stranger's blood to someone! It also struck me how there were all these specialized tools and supplies, like individually wrapped, premedicated swabs to sterilize the skin in the area where the needle gets stuck. It fascinated me!

Diane Burton said...

Wow. Hip replacement is big stuff. I'm not surprised you can't write yet. All that anesthesia in your system takes a while to work its way out so your brain can function. Get lots of rest and do the exercises. Sending healing thoughts.

It is interesting how much is barcoded theses days. At our hospital, the nurses, etc. swiped their ID badges on a device attached to the computer before entering any info. So much is authenticated. Good idea to jot down notes to help you remember. I can imagine a good thriller based on abuse of the system. While I can imagine it, I have too many stories in my head to write that one.

Jannine Gallant said...

My husband and youngest daughter both had surgery last year. I just wrote a scene where my heroine had to get stitched up. I was trying my best to remember what happened during their prep. Good on you for taking notes! Heal fast, JL!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Yup, I've got my new landscaper mystery and you've found a way to work in barcoded drugs in a medical drama. When I was on meds for my double knee replacement, I found I could write, but the product was iffy. Still felt good to get ideas down. Get ready for some tough physical therapy...worth every grueling minute!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Glad you got fixed and are taking it easy. I know your mind is still working and writing!

Andrea Downing said...

Does all that bar-coding make you feel nervous, like there is gong to be a huge bill extra to insurance, or does it make you feel like you're in a really up-to-the-minute hospital with the best care? or both? whatever, best wishes for a speedy recovery. You'll be back doing the salsa before you know it.

Alison Henderson said...

I'm glad you're doing so well. The bar code thing is very reassuring. It tells me your hospital is right on top of the latest trends in patient safety. Given the way insurance works, you'll probably be fully healed by the time the bill shows up.