Saturday, August 26, 2017

Readers Rule (Part 2)

As Brenda said, we're attending the same conference this fall -- and I can't put my hands right now on the clever image they made for me (argh!)

It's been a couple of years since I've been to a conference and like Brenda, I'm somewhat ... I don't know, anxious or hesitant about it. I am *not* a dress-up person so the idea of a gala is foreign to me. I don't do costumes -- okay, I used to do costumes, and if they ever have a Back to the Fifties, I'm in. Medieval? Um, no. Of course, some of my clothing is old, so maybe that counts? I'll be there to support Brenda as we wait, with bated breath, for contest results. Send a few positive vibes our way, okay?

I'm looking forward, though, to connecting with other authors and readers, of course. I enjoy chatting with readers about what they like, don't like, in books and trends and buying. They don't know the ins and outs of publishing like authors do, so they come at it from a different perspective and it's always good to be reminded of that.

And a bonus for this trip is that I'll see not only Brenda and Rolynn, but other writer friends as well in Phoenix and in California, as well as family out in California. So it's a big Win Win for me.

Before then, though, I have another trip to endure, er, enjoy. Road trip, a long one, out East to see the in-laws at a wedding. I'll do all the driving, and really, it should be fun. As my father used to say, any time you get out of your zip code it's an adventure, right?

Right?

I'm not going to think that far ahead right now. For now, it's all about Labor Day weekend coming up and a chance to kick back and relax.

And maybe go through my closet and see if any of those party clothes still fit ...

J L
(jayellwilson.com)

5 comments:

Diane Burton said...

I'm sure you'll have a great time. It's wonderful to connect (or reconnect) with author friends. I always come back from conferences recharged. I hope you do, too. Enjoy!

Leah St. James said...

Have a great time, JL! I'm sure you'll look wonderful whatever you wear. And who's to say you can't wear a '50 outfit! :-) Have fun, enjoy the friendships and book talk.

Rolynn Anderson said...

As I told Brenda, we can dress as peasants in Medieval times; no need to gussy up like the 1%ers of the era
:-) We'll have fun...it's a small conference and very friendly. I'm hoping readers show up in big numbers now that it's free for them to attend. In the meantime, enjoy the drive/wedding on the East Coast!

Brenda whiteside said...

Oh yes, love getting out of the zip code.

Jannine Gallant said...

I'll be interested to hear what you learn from readers in the way of new trends or what they want. Seems like a great future post. Have fun!