Wednesday, December 30, 2015

CHRISTMAS AT THE COVE by Rachel Brimble



Roses and Readers, welcome back one of our favorite guest bloggers, Rachel Brimble.

Writing a series of books set in a small town is a dream come true––something I’ve wanted to do ever since I discovered Enid Blyton’s Secret Seven series when I was nine or ten. The idea of having recurring characters appeals to me in both my writing and reading choices.

Obviously, I’ve moved on from Enid Blyton, but my shelves now groan with the weight of the books I collect and refuse to part with. The downside of loving a particular series is I have to buy the entire backlist (if I’ve come in past book 1) or keep buying each book the author releases.

To name a few favourites, any series or trilogy by Nora Roberts, The Lucky Harbor series by Jill Shalvis and The Virgin River series by Robyn Carr – each of them has influenced some small aspect of my Harlequin Superromance series set in the fictional UK seaside town of Templeton Cove.

Until the fourth book, CHRISTMAS AT THE COVE, Templeton has more often than not basked in the summer months due to the sea, the beach and everything a typical British seaside town encapsulates. Yet, when my editor suggested I might like to try a Christmas themed novel, I was thrilled! One, because I had never written a Christmas story before and two, it would be fun to paint the canvas of the Cove a different colour for book number four.

The series consists of a mix of romantic suspense and mainstream contemporary romance stories, but I decided quite early on I didn’t want to taint the joy of Christmas with a grisly murder, abduction or threat of some sort…so mainstream contemporary it was!

Christmas At The Cove is a reunion story between long-term Templeton resident, Scott Walker and the return of his brief but passionate lover, Carrie Jameson. Carrie has news for Scott - the decision is his what happens next…

Do you like series romances? Favorite settings? Favorite series/author?’

Let’s talk series!

Happy Reading!

Blurb & Buy Links:

More family for Christmas? 

Scott Walker doesn't have time for a relationship. The sexy mechanic has career ambitions, not to mention a mother and three sisters to take care of. The last thing he needs is Carrie Jameson, the beauty he never forgot, arriving in Templeton Cove over the holidays with some unexpected news. 

Scott still finds Carrie irresistible, and he's not one to shirk responsibility. Scott's issues with his own dad make the prospect of parenthood a minefield. But if he and Carrie can overcome their fears, this Christmas could bring them the best gift of all.




Templeton Cove Trailer


BIO:

Rachel lives with her husband and two teenage daughters in a small town near Bath in the UK. After having several novels published by small US presses, she secured agent representation in 2011. Since 2013, she has had five books published by Harlequin Superromance (Templeton Cove Stories) and recently signed a contract for three more. She also has three Victorian romances with eKensington/Lyrical with a fourth due for release in March 2016.

Rachel is a member of the Romantic Novelists Association and Romance Writers of America, and was selected to mentor the Superromance finalist of So You Think You Can Write 2014 contest. When she isn’t writing, you’ll find Rachel with her head in a book or walking the beautiful English countryside with her family. Her dream place to live is Bourton-on-the-Water in South West England.

She likes nothing more than connecting and chatting with her readers and fellow romance writers. Rachel would love to hear from you!

Links:



18 comments:

Rachel Brimble said...

Thanks for having me here today! Looking forward to chatting with your visitors :)

Jannine Gallant said...

I love writing series. Out of my dozen plus books published, only three of them aren't part of a series! I like bringing characters back, and giving readers a glimpse of original heroes and heroines living their HEA. Your small town sounds wonderful, Rachel. So glad your Pub keeps asking for more stories!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Rachel, so good to hear about your many successes at writing. It seems to me that the small town setting and a few remarkable characters provide the foundation for a series, with new characters entering the stage overtime. Readers feel comfortable in a familiar setting...it's home to them. I've just published the third book in my first series...and it's not as easy as it sounds to write, so I'm impressed with your output. Good for you to have snagged an agent...and keep up your good work. Happy New Year.

Rachel Brimble said...

Hi, Jannine!

I'm glad too - my editor gives such enthusiasm for the Cove that I just can't wait to write another story. Long may it continue!

Rachel Brimble said...

Hi Rolynn!

Sometimes my output feels as though I'm going to keel over, haha! I wish I could resist the laptop sometimes but I just love what I do :) series writing is so much fun that I'm plotting an historical one as we speak! Lovely to see you hear x

Rachel Brimble said...

Here!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Hear, hear :-) The thing is, series sell, so your heart and cents are in the right place. Go for that historical!

Leah St. James said...

Hi, Rachel - Great topic! I also love reading and writing series, beginning many years ago with Nancy Drew and Laura Ingalls' Little House on the Prairie series. I read the set of Narnia books (five, six books?) with my younger son. I was hooked on Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. My most recent obsession is Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (which I hadn't heard of until about two years ago...where the heck was I?!) I've just added yours to my list! They all sound wonderful.

Rachel Brimble said...

That is so weird how you mention Outlander! I haven't read them either and plan to start book 1 after the book I'm reading now, lol! Thank you so much for adding my books to your list - hope you enjoy!

Leah St. James said...

They're dense with detail and imagery...and really, really LONG. But that's not a bad thing if you're enjoying them!

Rachel Brimble said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel Brimble said...

I've bought the first two books and, I agree, they are tomes! I enjoy a big book though so I have high hopes :)

Rolynn Anderson said...

I do not read time travel novels...until Outlander. I have read every ding-dang one...love them to death...they are read-over books, I promise. Plan to veg for days while you're reading them!

Rachel Brimble said...

This will be a first for me too - I've heard so many great things about the TV show but I'm the person who needs to read the book first!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Always great to have you with us, Rachel. I'm another one inspired by your output. Congratulations. I'm currently venturing into writing a series with my current wips. Seems like I'm in good company. It's great fun to intermingle characters. Definitely have yours on my TBR list.

Diane Burton said...

I love reading and writing series. So much fun to visit with old friends. Best wishes, Rachel.

Rachel Brimble said...

And to you, Diane! Hope you'll give my series s try :)

Rachel Brimble said...

Hi, Margo! Long time, no speak :)

Sometimes my output makes me feel like keeling over, haha! Glad to hear you are embarking on a series - let me know when it's published :)

Thanks for adding my books to your list!