Monday, March 16, 2015

Dreams Imagined and Pursued by Donna Michaels


“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.” ~ Henry David Thoreau 

I know several Roses have posted about this quote this month, but it’s a goodie! One that I encouraged my children to follow. As long as their dream is legal, of course.
When my children were in high school, I asked them to think about what they wanted to do after graduation, and what they enjoyed doing for fun. Then I suggested trying to find something that combined the two, because they were going to be stuck doing that for the rest of their lives. Work is more satisfying when it’s something you want to do.
My daughter has always loved to entertain and was in every pre-school, grade school and high school concert, performed in her sending school district’s Drama Club productions, and even auditioned and performed for local theaters. Am I worried about her choice to pursue a career in entertainment? Yes. Absolutely. It’s such a fickle business. Will I try to deter her from following her dream? Heck no. I was a housewife with four, very active, school age, children when I decided to pursue mine. No one told me it was stupid. (I wouldn’t have listened anyway.) I would never try to make her change her mind.
Now, she’s in college, majoring in acting/directing, and is considering a minor in writing. She is extremely good at it. In high school last year, she was asked last minute by her teacher to write an essay for a local American Legion Contest. She won first place. It then went on to regional. She won first place. It then went on to state. She took second. All from a quick essay written the night before the deadline. So, yeah, if she ever gets the bug to write like I did, then look out. She has a bright future. I’m excited to see which direction her imagination and dream takes her. One thing is certain, Jestina will be a name to remember.
But she isn’t my only child to follow her dreams. One of my twins has been in college…forever. Okay, seems like it. Zach is a super senior (because he’s been in college forever). He started out pursuing computer programming, but switched several majors and colleges, until he found a major that spoke to him. When he first told me he wanted to switch colleges, yet again, and this time, to one four hours away, so he could major in Asian Studies, I admit, I blinked and asked him to repeat himself. Then I asked him what he could do with that major because I hadn’t really even heard of it. He said he wanted to go to Japan and teach children to speak English.
And I thought, yes! Finally! This is so Zach. He loves children. Loves Japan. He’s finally found his passion. He has always loved the culture, anime, gaming, music, and geography of the country. I can see him very happy doing this. Am I freaking out about him living on a continent prone to earthquakes and tsunamis? Heck yeah! Will I try to stop him? Heck no! I want him to go confidently in the direction of his dream.
What about you? What is your dream?
You already know I’m pursuing mine, and I’m thrilled to hear from fans who thank me for writing. It is so humbling, and those emails keep me going when exhaustion sets in. All part of pursing my dream. In my latest release, Wyne and Chocolate, my heroine is pursuing her dream of making chocolate confections for everyone to enjoy, but the road there was not easy.
I appreciate each of the 38 reviews I've receive, so far. Thank you!  Here's one I'd love to share:
 
 
“Donna Michaels never fails to impress me with her writing skills, & Wyne & Chocolate is no exception. Absolutely fabulous story, it was funny, romantic, a bit sad in places, & very sexy. Talking about sexy.........Mason has it all going on, my new bbf I think, he's very sincere, caring, loving...the list goes on, I'm so happy he could get over his abandonment issues, with Jill. She also has issues of her own, but is still a down to earth, loving & caring person. I definitely recommend this book, & am really looking forward to the next in the series.”   ~jacqueline shaw
 
Available at Amazon
 
Are you living the life you imagined? Sometimes, that changes, and the one you started out on isn't quite right. Like my son. Things come out of left field and just...click.
 Thanks for reading,
~Donna
www.donnamichaelsauthor.com

7 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Good for your kids, Donna. Sounds like they're doing exactly what they want to do! And good for you for making them see the value in that.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Always good to hear about kids finding themselves at last. All four of mine finally did and I couldn't be happier for them - and us ;-)

Donna Michaels said...

~Jannine, thanks!

~Margo, I agree. Whoohoo for all 4 of your children. I didn't mention my other two because I was long winded enough, but they are both working in the computer field, which was their majors.

Donna Michaels said...

~Jannine, thanks!

~Margo, I agree. Whoohoo for all 4 of your children. I didn't mention my other two because I was long winded enough, but they are both working in the computer field, which was their majors.

Alicia Dean said...

I love that your children are chasing their dreams. I've always dreamed of being a writer,and I am fortunate enough to be living the dream. I wish my children could also realize their dreams, but I'm not even sure they know what they're passionate about. They all have careers, but nothing that they can really feel excited about.

Donna Michaels said...

Thanks, Alicia. I'm so blessed to be living my dream of being a writer, too. I wish I could help my other twin son. He's an IT major, but it felt like it was just something he did to get a diploma. He certainly doesn't know what he's passionate about, so I know how you feel. I'm hoping he'll have a 'lightbulb' moment in the near future. lol

Diane Burton said...

My son once asked if I was disappointed that he was cooking in a restaurant instead of using his marketing degree. I asked if he was happy and could he afford the lifestyle he wanted. When he said yes, I said good.

I'm doing what I've wanted to do for the past 20+ years--writing stories and getting paid for them.