Tuesday, September 9, 2014

FALL INTO PLACE by Brenda Whiteside

Available Now
I'm writing a series and didn't run into trouble until the third book. Book one, The Art of Love and Murder is set in Flagstaff, Arizona and released in May to great reviews. My hero is Sheriff Chance Meadowlark. Mason is half Hopi and takes his heritage seriously in his peacekeeper role. He's a serious guy with emotions that run deep. More than a few women who've read my book sigh when they talk to me about him.

Book two, Southwest of Love and Murder, is set in Chino Valley, Arizona and
Available in 2015
will release after the first of the year. Mason Meadowlark, Chance's twin brother, is the hero of this novel. They might be twins, yet they're different in not only appearance but personalities. Mason has earned his reputation as a playboy rancher. He smiles easy and is always out for a good time.

These two guys were honest with me from chapter one. I knew who and what they were. Made writing their stories easy.

My hero tripped me up in the third book of my Love and Murder series.The Legacy of Love and Murder is set in Austria. My heroine, August, first sees the hero, Inspector Tobias Wolf, as an Austrian James Bond (the Sean Connery variety). He's sophisticated but has a rough undertone, drives a silver Porsche and dresses exquisitely. So I got sidetracked. If you watch some of those old Sean Connery as Bond movies, you'll remember he takes masculinity to the machismo level. In fact, he's kind of a louse when it comes to women. And the way the movies portray 007 pales in comparison to the books.

Unfortunately, when August likened him to James Bond it totally threw me off. Wolf would act one way when the story was being told from his point of view, then he'd go off on some tangent that didn't match. It was chapter eleven before I realized what felt wrong. Wolf was only similar in looks and mannerisms to Bond, James Bond. He's a serious guy yet has a dry sense of humor, a manly man with a soft side for women in trouble. This whole wrong path is causing me a rewrite but that's okay. At last, it's falling into place!



Visit Brenda at www.brendawhiteside.com.
She blogs on the 9th and 24th of every month at http://rosesofprose.blogspot.com
She blogs about prairie life and writing at http://brendawhiteside.blogspot.com/



10 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Brenda, All of these guys sound fabulous. LOVE your covers! Glad you finally got the last one under control. Best of luck.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks, Margo.

Jannine Gallant said...

Sometimes it takes a while for a character to really shape up. I always sort of wonder who they are in the beginning. Glad everything is working out--even if he isn't turning into Bond...James Bond.

Brenda Whiteside said...

LOL, Jannine.

Alicia Dean said...

Very cool that your third book is set in Austria. I love the sounds of all your heroes. I am glad you found the key for the third book to fall into place. I agree with your perception. I almost always model my main characters after celebrities or their movie or tv roles and I have to remember they are just the inspiration, not an exactly replica of my character. Best of luck with the series!

Brenda Whiteside said...

So true, Alicia. Thanks!

Leah St. James said...

Oh my, Brenda, you sure know how to write the hero part! I'm sighing just reading your post! :-) I sometimes use celebrities to model my main characters in their looks and mannerisms, as you said. It's easy to find images to hang on my story boards for inspiration. :-) For behavioral characteristics, I tend to model people I know personally. I'm glad you worked out your glitches!

Brenda Whiteside said...

We do have to have that vision, don't we. Thanks, Leah.

Donna Michaels said...

Your heroes in this series sound wonderful, Brenda! It's wonderful when they're diverse, yet still swoon-worthy.

Sorry Tobias was holding out on your. Sounds like you've gotten a good handle on him now. I hope it's all smooth sailing from here on out! I look forward to reading each of these books!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks, Donna.