1. Tea – I’ve been hung up on peppermint tea this winter and simply must have it piping hot. Like, scorch-your-throat hot.
2. Chicken soup – Soup is of no use unless you can hover over it and completely steam your face in the wafting vapors. My grandmother would not be pleased if I served her recipe in a lukewarm or—God forbid—cold fashion.
3. The fireplace – Nothing says cozy like a roaring fire on a frosty winter night. Where I live, there have been a multitude of these this winter. I’ve spent many hours warming myself by both gas and wood stoves, and I love them both equally.
4. Sunshine – I always find it interesting that even in the middle of winter, I can sit in a sunny spot near a window and feel the warmth of the sun on my skin. The sun doesn’t let you down in terms of hot. The air, on the other hand, can be brutal.
5. UPS delivery guys – I don’t know if it’s just my neighborhood or what, but these guys in brown are always attractive. Many of them are bearded (sigh) and when they are hauling boxes around, they are just plain sexy.
6. Tropical islands – It’s nice to know that while I’m freezing my bottom off in the north, somewhere near the equator the temperatures are hot and palm trees sway in a balmy breeze. I can imagine I’m on a beach blanket and escape for a little while.
7. Cookies straight from the oven – I don’t think this one needs explaining. All it needs is milk.
8. Romance novels – I read these because they are hot. I write these because they are hot.
What would you add to this list?
For some hot fun, try my book Firefly Mountain. It’s got a hot firefighter, a hot photographer, several really hot secrets, and an arsonist bent on making a hot mess of a cozy Vermont town.