Monday, March 25, 2013

Marriage vs. Status Quo...

...in romantic fiction and The Artist’s Inheritance

Help me welcome our guest blogger today, Juli D. Revezzo

Thanks Brenda and the Roses for inviting me here today.
I have a question for you and your readers: What do you know about your beloved? Is it enough to save him if the gods decided he’d slighted them?
I posed that question in my debut novel The Artist’s Inheritance.
            As romance authors you’re sort of squashed into a certain format—boy meets girl, boy and girl face obstacles on the road to happily ever after, heck, maybe at first they don’t even want HEA with each other. Eventually they jump over all those hurtles and make it to the altar, or at least broach the subject.
            It’s such an ingrained format most of us can sing it in our sleep.
            But when I sat down to write my novel, that tried and true format just didn’t work. Caitlin, my main character, knew far too much about her beloved. She knew that his brother and sister were artists, she knew that his mother had gone missing, she knew that the brother and sister both committed suicide. Being realistic and rational, these are not things one usually brings up to a girlfriend in the opening stages of a relationship. I contemplated the reunion format but, they’re not my favorite types of books either.
What to do then?
Caitlin had an answer: She insisted they were married. “I have to see what he does in those off hours to see this weird thing he’s creating in secret, don’t you think? I have to live with him, at least. It’s all about his family, sister!”
So, what else could I do? Marriage of Convenience maybe? Since it’s set in Present Day Florida and the characters are not of a culture that might choose that for their children, that didn’t work either. Nor did Caitlin like the idea of a shotgun wedding, so to speak.
I had no other choice.
I had to begin the story after Caitlin and her beloved Trevor married and I ask you, what’s more romantic than a man or woman willing to fight imps and gods bent on your family or your beloved’s destruction?

This is just the beginning of Caitlin’s fight for her beloved, so I hope you will give The Artist’s Inheritance a chance, and like what you see.
Would you like to read more about it? Here’s the synopsis:

How far would you go to save your beloved?
Trevor and Caitlin were once happy newlyweds, profiting from Trevor's art. Until Trevor inherits his brother's house, and with it, his part of a family curse. Now, Caitlin will stop at nothing to save her beloved husband from insanity and suicide, even if it means she must embrace her destiny and become a witch.

The Artist’s Inheritance is available at:

Barnes and Noble: http://bit.ly/ORLQyF
And in paperback at Createspace:  http://bit.ly/RkOdr0
About Juli D. Revezzo
Juli D. Revezzo has long been in love with writing, a love built by devouring everything from the Arthurian legends, to the works of Michael Moorcock, and the classics and has a soft spot for classic the “Goths” of the 19th century. Her short fiction has been published in Dark Things II: Cat Crimes, The Scribing Ibis, Eternal Haunted Summer, Twisted Dreams Magazine and Luna Station Quarterly. She also has an article and book review or two out there. But her heart lies in the storytelling. She is a member of the Independent Author Network. The Artist’s Inheritance is her first novel.

For more information on Juli and her books, see her website at:

at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Juli-D.-Revezzo/e/B008AHVTLO/
on Twitter: http://twitter.com/julidrevezzo
on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/JD-Revezzo/233193150037011

Thanks, ladies, for having me here today! Have a ahem, rosy day!

3 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Juli,

First of all, welcome! Your blurb packs a lot of punch. Your book sounds like a real heart tugger, too. Thanks for sharing a part of your writing process. Nice to have a look behind the scenes.

Jannine Gallant said...

That is a definite twist! Woman's fiction meets science fiction - very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing with us today, Juli.

Juli D. Revezzo said...

Thanks, Margo and Jannine. I hope y'all will like it. Thanks so much for your kind words on my blurb, Margo. I keep tweaking it. I never feel like they're exactly right. Aren't they ornery little things? hehe. Anyway, thanks for having me, ladies!