Thursday, May 10, 2012

Guest Melynda Price Talks About her Writing Journey

          Hi Laura, thank you for having me on Roses of Prose today. This is the sixth stop on my blog tour, to celebrate the release of my novel Until Darkness Comes. I’m giving away a copy of my book at each stop. To win, please visit my blog, “Follow” me, www.melyndaprice.com, and then email me, Melynda@MelyndaPrice.com with your email information so I can contact the winner. A winner will be announced Friday, May 12!

I’ve been doing several interviews lately, and would like to take the time today to talk a little about my journey from unpublished to published author. Everyone has their own story to tell, and I love hearing about other author’s success, but even more, I also want to hear about their failures. No, I’m not sadistic, LOL, but I believe there’s a lot to be learned in these failures—my own and others.

Patience, perseverance, and gratitude are few qualities that have grown in me through rejection. So, today’s stop, I want to pay special attention to the unpublished authors and those who are struggling in their career. I’d like to share something I’ve learned through my journey.

It only takes one “Yes.” Five simple words, yet so profound… This little bit of advice and encouragement was given to me by my good friend, Laura Breck, and will stay with me forever. It only takes one “yes” for your dreams to come true, so try to take each “no” as a learning, and growing experience.

Often, the rejection to contract Until Darkness Comes was based only on the query letter alone, and when you have a project you’ve loved, nurtured and cherished, it’s hard not to take that rejection personally, but you can’t. A query isn’t your novel, and if it’s rejected, they’re not rejecting you or your work per say, but the query itself.

I rewrote my query letter numerous times, and by far, I found it more difficult than writing the book itself. I knew I’d finally gotten it right when I started getting requests to submit my manuscript. At the time I signed Until Darkness Comes with 5Prince Publishing, I’d gotten two offers to contract this book. I took me a year of submitting, getting rejected, tweaking my query letter, and re-submitting, before it all started coming together. I’ve talked to other authors who have said it took them as long as five years to get their first book contracted. In researching the dreaded query letter, I found a few examples helpful and included them on my website under “Writing Tips.”

I hope you found this stop on my tour encouraging, and want to thank you for coming by. Be sure to visit my website and enter for a chance to win a copy of Until Darkness Comes! Available on Amazon  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_mrr_0?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Auntil+darkness+comes%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A2656022011&bbn=283155&keywords=until+darkness+comes&ie=UTF8&qid=1333643139&rnid=618072011 and Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/until-darkness-comes?keyword=until+darkness+comes&store=book


A guardian angel… A forbidden love… Eternal consequences…
Olivia Norton was born with a gift—a gift heaven has sworn to protect, and hell is bound to destroy. Her perfect world is turned upside-down when two handsome strangers, Max and Liam, step into her life. Olivia soon discovers that her “Mr. Perfect” is actually a perfect nightmare.

The rules of engagement have changed and Liam, Olivia's guardian angel, is forced to cross dimensional borders or risk losing the woman he’s sworn to protect. Suddenly, thrust into a world unlike anything he’s ever known, Liam isn’t prepared to come face to face with the young woman whose life he holds in his hands.

But nothing is as it seems, and secrets abound that will ultimately force him to choose between two impossibilities. Max will stop at nothing to finish what he's started, and Olivia is soon plunged into a battle between good and evil. Her very life hangs in the balance as two forces fight to win her heart.

6 comments:

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Mylinda,
Thanks for dropping by The Roses of Prose blog, lovely to have you here.

regards

Margaret

Brenda Whiteside said...

It takes tough skin to be an author. Laura gave good advice and I'm glad it worked. Love your cover. Thanks for the post.

Alison H. said...

Good morning, Melynda! I've often given the same "it only takes one" advice to unpublished authors because it's true. So glad you dream came true!

Jannine Gallant said...

Congratulations on achieving your dream. Authors would be nowhere without a stick-to-it attitude!

Laura Breck said...

Thanks for being our guest today, Melynda. I hope things go well with your writing from now on. You deserve a break!

melyndaprice said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments. I hope today's post was encouraging for those who have yet to receive their "yes" :)